Chicago Domestic Violence Lawyer
At Chicago Criminal Law, we are familiar with a wide range of domestic violence related criminal matters, including:
- Aggravated Domestic Battery
- Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Domestic Battery
- Defending Women in Domestic Violence Cases
- Felony Domestic Violence Charges
- Misdemeanor Domestic Violence Charges
- Restraining Order / Protective Order Hearings
The law in the State of Illinois establishes that a domestic violence offense occurs when one member of the household commits any of the following offenses on another member of the household:
- Any offense that results in physical injury or death
- Assault or Aggravated Assault
- Battery or Aggravated Battery
- False Imprisonment
- Sexual Assault or Sexual Battery
- Stalking or Aggravated Stalking
Any of these offenses can negatively affect a variety of things, such as your employment, military, or academic status, prohibit you from attending your child’s school or recreational activities, prevent this criminal record from being sealed, and impede your right to own a firearm.
The Distinct Nature of Domestic Violence Charges:
Cook County has a dedicated courthouse for domestic violence cases because there is such a rigorous policy against those accused of domestic violence. Therefore, there is great burden on police and prosecutors to get results.
Due to the specialized form of prosecution attacking those accused of domestic violence in Cook County, you will need a strong legal defense team that is specialized at successfully defending many domestic violence cases in the Chicago area. Because of the passionate nature of domestic violence cases, there is a strong chance that both the alleged victim and the accuser will reconcile, but that does not allow the charges to be dropped because he or she refuses to cooperate with the prosecution.
Domestic violence cases tend to be very subjective. Issues that can often form the basis for a false or exaggerated accusation include financial distress, stress at work, issues relating to children, insecurity, or infidelity If you are a victim of false or exaggerated accusations, you will need a criminal defense lawyer on your side to guide you on how to proceed and protect yourself. Some cases lack the hard evidence, and any shred of doubt is enough to protect you from the lies. Strong legal advice will be needed of which Marcia Mavrides can provide you.
Even if you are arrested for domestic violence by the police, it does not mean that they will necessarily be convicted or even charged with a crime by the prosecutor. Due to our expertise, once we begin to defend or represent a client, it is not uncommon for the charges alleged by the police to be reduced by the prosecutor or even dropped.
Your Best Defenses:
In each case, we carefully review all of the facts and circumstances of each case and investigate the evidence that the prosecution has obtained. Rest assure, we will be actively involved to pursue all of the evidence and witnesses that will aid us in obtaining a favorable outcome. A list of possible defenses is as followed:
- Defense of Others
- Defense of Property
- Failure to Read Miranda Warnings
- Lack of Intent
- Mistaken Identity
- Self Defense
- Victim Recantation
Possible Punishments and Penalties
Domestic violence is a specialized form of assault or battery, and may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. Below is a list of potential penalties and punishments:
- Be required to attend a batterers’ intervention program
- Be required to attend substance-abuse treatment
- Be required to pay restitution
- Face fines
- Face jail or prison time
- Have a permanent criminal record
- Lose your right to carry a firearm
Consequences of Arrest:
Domestic violence can carry a substantial cost in legal and social terms, but the greatest impact is at a personal level. Not only can these charges be used as “ammunition” in divorce and child custody hearings but a “guilty” plea can be just as upsetting to a permanent record as a full-blown conviction and a conviction can prevent the accused from ever legally owning a firearm. These cannot be sealed or expunged once a judgment is made.
How Chicago Criminal Law Can Help You:
Chicago Criminal Law is a full service criminal defense firm that will:
- Negotiate on your behalf by reaching out to the prosecution to communicate and negotiate the case on your behalf.
- Investigate, assess, and analyze your case by assessing the case against you and explaining all the possible outcomes and researching all legal issues to pursue the best resolution for you
- Strive to minimize your court appearances by either resolving your case so that a court appearance is not necessary or if the appearance is necessary, appear to court on your behalf
- Prepare your defense by striving to file all the necessary motions and representing you at any necessary court appearances
- Conclude your case by advocating for you at court to attempt to reduce any negative impact on you and if possible, work on your behalf to have your records sealed or expunged.
If you or someone you love has been charged with a domestic violence offense, you will need a qualified Chicago domestic violence lawyer.